Thursday, March 4, 2010

Social Bookmarking- NETS I, IV, V

1. National Archives – The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. A devastating earthquake hit San Francisco early morning on April 18th, 1906. The earthquake only lasted about a minute and destroyed over 500 city blocks of San Francisco. During that minute of disaster the earthquake caused water and gas lines to twist and break causing fires to erupt across the city and burned uncontrollably for days.
The value of primary source (i.e.: Objects, Images, Audio, Statistics, Text, and the community) is considered necessary in my classroom. Children need to visual see artifacts or hear stories from a first person. Children may watch videos from an even to actually see what took place and how it happened. Primary sources are needed to really understand life. Going back to the San Francisco earthquake, if you see pictures or watch a movie, you can see the devastation that took place instead of just hearing about it. Visual seeing photographs or visuals can make the experience more real and is crucial in understanding how severe things are or to just learn about the world around you 


- Create a cultural competence committee or task force. Include administrators, teachers, education support professionals, students, family, and community representatives. The committee can serve as the primary governing body for planning, implementing, and evaluating organizational cultural competence initiatives. I think that by working together both inside the school and outside the school in the community, it helps to make others aware of issues going on and by working together you can come up with solutions. I feel that as a group effort, we can stop of lot of problems that we face and build a more cultural group of “we.” We all have to work together to succeed in this world and with hate and problems we cannot coexist peacefully.
- Gather and organize resource materials related to culturally diverse groups for use by school staff. – As a teacher you need materials and resources to help you teach about cultural diversity and how we are all very different but at the same time, very much alike. You cannot teach a beneficial lesson if you do not have the write resources and materials.
- Build and use a network of "natural helpers" at school and in the community as well as "experts" who have knowledge of the culturally, linguistically, racially, and ethnically diverse groups served by your school. Children learn best from their peers. By having a group of experts or natural helpers, children can learn from their actions and knowledge. Children helping others, makes others aware of situations and how to make it so that they can coexist peacefully as a group and is very much needed in schools.
3. My cyber bully quiz score was a 2. I have messaged one of my friends without telling them who I was and asked them to guess. I never thought if that as a cyber bullying thing. I was just more like hey guess who I am. I have never done it to someone that wasn’t my friend or in a mean way and told them within 5 minutes who I was. I also have my second point because I have cussed at least once online because I was mad. I rarely every do it but I’m sure that I have before.

4. - I would use the AAA math page. Students need extra practice and useful websites fro them to use to help with their math skills. I would use some of these lessons in my classroom and show my students how to use this websites to help them and how I use it to help them understand math better.
- I would also use the bulletin board ideas. You always need new ideas to do with your bulletin boards. I like to be very creative and colorful and learn new ideas to make my students learning environment more active and enjoyable and I feel that bulletin boards are a way to help with this.

5. 1) Interpersonal – 94%
2) Intrapersonal – 69%
3) Logical-Mathematics – 63%
Video – I found really fascinating that there are so many different types of intelligences, which makes it harder and easy for certain children to learn. This kind of scares me because I have to relate each lesson to all seven or eight different personalities. To me this is going to be very hard to do every single lesson and to make sure that I am getting the information across to every student.

6. Gender Stereotyping was my topic for grades 3-5.
In my lesson plan I would do a brief interview with some adults to find out what the careers are that they've had prior to arriving on campus. In front of the students I would write two lists on the board. On the left hand side I would list the adults they know in our school. On the right hand side I list the various jobs and careers these adults have held in their past. I would explain to my students that their task is to match the job or former career with the adult that they think fits.
Once they think they have a guess they can raise their hands and share their assumption. Students can talk to each other, make predictions and share their assumptions openly if they want to. With my help, it usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to get all the adults and jobs matched correctly. Here’s where the lesson really begins. I asked the students if any of the outcomes surprised them and why. Without fail, I will get a stereotype pertaining to gender or a prejudice statement regarding appearance.
There are many directions this lesson can go once you have your student’s assumptions and stereotypes. I like to show students that everyone has a work history and that they began in unusual places. Students can see that most adults work up a career ladder and are working towards a goal. Most importantly, for me, we can examine stereotypes around gender, class and the way people look or are perceived.


7. In a 2007 study, UNICEF rated the treatment of children in the 23 wealthiest countries in the world based on 40 indicators of child well-being. Which two countries received the lowest ratings?

 - I was amazed to find out that the answer to this question was the United States and the United Kingdom. That makes me really sad to know that we are the wealthiest country but don’t have very good treatment rating for the treatment of children. Our money should be going to treatment of children more than many other things our country chooses to spend its money on.
 Compared with their U.S.-born peers, how likely are immigrant men in the U.S., ages 18-39, to be in jail or prison, according to a 2008 report from the Immigration Policy Center?
- The answer was 5 times less likely. To a point this somewhat surprises me but in other ways it doesn’t. I do feel that US citizens that were born and raised in this country are more likely to act up because they many times are not as grateful for what they get and will act out more. Majority of immigrant come to the US because of better opportunities so therefore they tend to be happier and less likely to act out because they are so grateful for what they now have.


8. I answered 9 questions out of 10 correctly therefore overall I got a 90% on the Netiquette Quiz.
              In my classroom students learn by model. I would make sure to use netiquette in my classroom and would model the do's and don't of the internet. All my students would have a chance to take the netiquette quiz and will have to keep taking the quiz until they have reached 100% but they will not know this the first time that they take it. :^) I would go over the rules of the internet with the class and explain what the do's and don't are of the internet and how to make sure that they know what can happen if they do not follow the rules. =^D Children need to be taught the rules and what will happen if they don't follow them. Bullying has been an increasing problem in child, especially on the internet because there is not face to face contact. Child need to be taught that others have feelings and that even though you can't see others reactions, mean comments can hurt others. The rules of Netiquette need to be taught early on so that my students know how they should  and should not act on the internet.
:^) (Happy, Approving) or =^D (Big Grin)

No comments:

Post a Comment